Tuesday 6 October 2009

Pendle Picture Gallery


Downham is said to be Lancashire's prettiest village, and this view was my first subject many yeas ago


This is a typical Pendle side farmhouse, a painting that has been exhibited in  in Creil, Paris, Nelson's Twin town


The old cobbled streets of Nelson still exist, but the rag and bone man was drawn from memories



This weather is typical of the Pennines, clouds speeding overhead on a brisk March day



This old farm is no longer there, but for years it provided good subjects for my paintings from every angle



Finally this view of the Leeds and Liverpool canal shows what a rich source of subjects we have by the old cotton mill cottages


When I started painting in the sixties, out of the fifty or so members of an art group I joined, I found I was the only one painting in watercolour. also I was only the one who was doing pictures of  the old back streets and smoke blacked Cotton mills. It was said that the paintings reminded them of Lowery, an observation I did'nt agree with. My philosophy was, and still is, that even the most unlikely views can be transformed into magic under fleeting light. For over twenty years I worked less than a hunded yards from the spot above








1 comment:

  1. Welcome to blogging,I've had a look at your site and its looking very professional,I think this is your first comment.

    ReplyDelete